Monday, January 25, 2010

Solo Reflection

As I walked through the doors of the Gatewood Studio Arts building, the sight of a small makeshift village met me. I was immediately drawn to these small huts, with just enough space for one to enjoy. Each was different, yet all served the same purpose: to shelter the activities of human life. Most intriguing to me were the bits and pieces that made up these sanctuaries. Some natural, some manmade, all designed together in a way that pulls one in to explore.
The little township boasted shelters of salvaged wood, plastics, cardboard, and fabrics…and although the shelters were made of rickety boards and paint-splattered tarps, there was something beautiful about them. I saw each wrap of twine, carefully situated around each board. I saw each strand of yarn, pulled taut and presenting its colors. I saw each person, putting their heart and soul into a space they call home. I was excited to explore these homes, and was even more excited upon exploring their interiors. For each one served a special purpose. Some were for sketching, some were for sleeping, some were for eating, but each was important. At this point, I knew that this town was special, that these makeshift shelters were important to show the ingenuity that humans possess over simple found objects. And I knew that the same character possessed by the creators of the little huts was what made our world so beautiful.

No comments: